Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Welcome the new age of Electronical Copilotarianism

Navigation is on the verge of a new era. The days of the Road Atlas are rapidly disappearing. I'm both happy and sad to see it go.

In my early road warrior days (mid 90s), a cross country road trip began with a Trip-Tik from AAA, which was then divided by gas-tank limited lengths of highway. I tried to estimate my own endurance to gauge how early I could start the day, when I would need a break, when I should call it quits for the night, and how any of these might coincide with the previously laid out gas stops. I had an electronic interstate directory, to help me find my preferred gas stops, restaurants, and rest areas (hopefully scenic). On the road, I had a stereo that was almost a navigation aid unto itself. With only the name of the state you were in, it could locate the nearest city by scanning the FM band and comparing it to the internal database of radio stations. This also kept me listening to only the radio formats I wanted to without having to wonder if I could find a non-country station. A 12-CD changer kept me going in between metropolitan areas. My ears for "traffic problems" consisted of a RADAR detector, CB radio, and a special radio scanner, all deployed about the vehicle interior in a way to minimize their intrusion and maximize usability.

While my old electronics counter-intelligence and entertainment suite has been largely disassembled, my enthusiasm has not diminished. As computers are produced in smaller sizes, and more capabilities are built into car accessories and various peripherals, the magic-factor will increase by leaps and bounds. The amount of information now available to divers can be both astonishingly useful, and horrendously distracting. The trick is to make sure these devices stay easy to use enough that the road is always at the center of the driver's attention and never needs to be diverted.

Would you like to know a secret? We're almost there.

The next generation of navi-tainment technology has started to trickle out to the populace, with a relative avalanche waiting in the wings. The first of these new-age devices to show up was Sync, powered by Microsoft. Sync has one job: access your portable music device and phone while in your car, using little more than your voice, and is doing a good enough job of it that folks are actually using it as a go/no-go qualifier for buying a new car. I am excited to see future iterations of Sync, with or without Ford.

Another bomb that was dropped just recently came from a relatively unknown company called Dash. Their baby is simply called Dash Express, and it has been closely followed by many folks. Dash was among the first to tout the term "historical speed data". This technology leverages average speeds from times-gone-by to help plot the best course to your destination. The Express also incorporates Wi-Fi and an always-on data connection through a nationwide cellular network. These connections allow for real-time traffic information access, directory services, and live firmware updates. The Interesting point to this device is that as a user, you are also performing a valuable function for Dash. Your Dash Express is actually a traffic probe as well. This means that your telemetric data is also reported back to Dash, which in turn helps other users keep informed of upcoming traffic irregularities, creating a network of better informed drivers.

HomeThe last gadget I'll be discussing here promises to be a main-stream after-market stereo system that just happens to pack a Windows Vista PC inside it. Azentek is a relative newcomer as well, only having a few products actively being sold at the moment, which promise owners of Ford trucks a convenient way to keep connected to their business while on the job site. The device I'm excited about is a little more entertainment oriented, and is called the Atlas CPC-1000. This seems to be Azentek's spearhead into retail automotive accessories and is a very well equipped device. I have followed home-grown car-PC Atlasefforts for a long time, but the Atlas is enough to make me drop any thoughts of doing one for myself. If you take one of these, add an OBD-II PC interface (which you can now buy from multiple vendors) and a mobile broadband connection, your passengers could watch streaming movies from Netflix while your car calculates exactly which Exxon station you can reach on your current tank of gas.

Imagine the Orwellian implications!!! Okay, now imagine how much more enjoyable a trip across the country could be. No longer burdened with guessing how much you'll have to pay for gas (you'll already know), where the next "safe" bathroom stop is (you'll already know), where the next scenic viewpoint is (guess!), what your kids are really up to in the back seat, what the tire pressure is at each corner of the car, and what your estimated range is (based on your current fuel-load, fuel usage, upcoming elevation changes, historical speeds, current traffic conditions, weather visibility, and ummm... time to get through the new inter-county security checkpoints). Despite my cynicism, I am actually very excited to see what the future has in store for us. I just can wait!!
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments:

Post a Comment