Saturday, August 15, 2009

I'm excited!

Do you know why?  The economic recession has enabled some differing minds to come together, and forced new ideas to the forefront.  The best part is that the driving public will be able to benefit from the desperation of the the automotive manufacturers.  I'll give you a few examples.

chevy_equinox_sipaphotostwo257277-MI-NORTH-AMERIC.jpgThe Chevy Equinox. This vehicle has historically been quite underwhelming.  Other than occasionally popping up with a new experimental drivetrain, the Equinox has not had much to offer beyond sliding rear seats.  For the 2010 model year that will be changing.  Not only will the Equinox be an all new vehicle with a new look (that I haven't quite fallen for yet), but it has turned into a class leader for economy.  Not only has it been fitted with features to use less fuel, but it COSTS LESS as well.  Bravo, Chevrolet!  I can't say that I'm exactly loving the over-accentuated fender rings (which are a poor choice for any car design, hear that Ford?), but I like almost everything else I've seen about this car.  The CR-V and RAV4 better have something good on the way, because I can see this Chevy stealing a lot of their prospective customers.  I say that as a former driver of a 2006 V6 4WD RAV4 Sport, which my whole family LOVED.

The Chevy Volt.  While the Volt isn't yet close to hitting show rooms, it is making great waves every few weeks as details spill forth.  Most recently I have been reading tales of journalists' adventures in the car while riding around GM test facilities.  All the great press is really putting the pressure on other car companies to make sure they keep at least a foot in the spotlight.  After Chevrolet announced the EPA's calculated mileage for the Volt, Nissan announced the "gas" mileage for thier electric Leaf.  Fun stuff here.

The Ford Fiesta.  I've been anxiously awaiting this one since I first saw it in concept form.  Along with all the work Ford is puting into powertrains across their entire line-up, Ford has been working overtime to get this one into everyone's garage.  I can't wait to see it in action somewhere besides Great Britain's Top Gear tv show.  This car is just what the USA needs to start thinking that domestic brands and small cars CAN go together.  I want one for each foot.  Hahaha!

Last but not least, is Fiat/Chrysler.  I'm going to make this short and sweet.  The Dodge Caliber will be getting a whole new underpinning, thanks to Alfa Romeo!  That should be good for at least 4 other MOPAR cars, all of which need some help.

That's it for now.  Happy Carpinionating!
Blogged with the Flock Browser

3 comments: